Tuesday, November 15, 2011

When God Created....

I love it when the free books for bloggers (I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review) have children's books, however I am rather disappointed with When God Created My Toes by Dandi Daley Mackall, illustrated by David Hohn. Of course the concept that God made us and loves us is great but the book is lacking. First of all, yes it rhymes, but it also treats things (God's creation, our bodies and families) that could inspire awe with silliness and I am all for silliness but here it just rings hollow (example-Did he hold his nose when God created my toes? Young children who this book is aimed at don't get that yet). The art is nice but too busy with the lined paper and inserted child's drawing (though Lydia-5 did love the large last page of child's art). I am fine with depictions of dressing up, getting dirty outside, hugging the cat, but do we really need to see the child destroy the living room with paint (my girls didn't listen to the words on that page, they were too busy gasping at the huge no no) and a kind but too rough hug which results in coffee everywhere? And Caleb brought up a theological issue with: Did I love him from the start when God created my heart? We won't stop reading it to the girls but I suggest you look elsewhere for a book on this topic.

No comments: