Monday, March 25, 2013

Can you hear me...?


Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
I got this book free for agreeing to review it on my blog from Waterbrook Maltnomah Publishing’s Blogging for Books.
There are introverts all around us and though I couldn't really ever fall into that category, they are in my family and I really want to make my organization (Friendship International-classes for international ladies in Austin) more introvert friendly.  So I picked this book up.
I felt the introduction was quite anti-extrovert so I was put off but I was glad I continued, as Cain, in the rest of the book, talks about the benefits and contributions of both, while saying those of introverts are not as valued or talked about as much in our culture.
There are great stories of inspirational introverts throughout and the history of how America got to the Extrovert Ideals is outlined.  Cain discusses nature versus nature including sensitivity which taught me a lot about my daughters.  Different cultures are examined. The book ends with how introverts can be their best in our society and how family members, bosses and teachers can help introverts to do the same. 
This is a great pep talk for an introvert who needs one to be happy with themselves and find places/situations that work for them, as well as, knowing when to stretch.  There are great ideas to make places where introverts are required to be (families, schools, jobs) workable for all.  Great research, great stories, great pointers.  This is a book I am discussing with lots of people and I highly recommend it no matter where you fall on the E-I scale!

No comments: