I got the Christian Mama's Guide to the Grade School Years by Erin MacPherson (and her mom) free by agreeing to review it on my blog from Thomas Nelson & Booksneeze!
Erin is very humorous and almost every sentence has a joke included. Depending on my mood, this was wonderful or annoying; something you should know going in! The book gives practical advice as well as spiritual motivation for this next step of our kids' lives.
One of the biggest focus is the Fifteen Factors, character qualities important to develop in addition to academics. Overall I really liked her attitude: being ready is important, choosing the right school is important, knowing what to do if your kid struggles is important, but the most important thing is encouraging them to have genuine faith and how we can work hard yet relax in it all.
I read this near the end of my daughter's Kindergarten year so I didn't need the pep talks about letting go the first day but I am still glad I read this book. I am planning on printing some of her free sheets as great reminders on things to focus on while my girls are in grade school.
I thought it was kinda cool/kinda odd that Erin practically team wrote this with her mother, an educator. The sections from her mom were great to hear from someone on the other side and who has seen a lot and she has wonderful practical pointers on things such as communication, strength-weakness combo, and more.
One funny thing, my four year old picked up the book, looked at the front cover and said we need to give this book to a teenager because of the depiction of the mom :). If you have kids in the younger grades or soon to starting school, I recommend this one!
1 year ago



No comments:
Post a Comment