Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Daily Dose of Truth and Encouragement

A Godward Heart-Treasuring the God Who Loves You
50 Meditations for Your Journey by John Piper

I love John Piper; he, like CS Lewis, seems to put deep thoughts into clear words.  When I saw I Piper book available for bloggers, I grabbed it!  I received this book for free from the publisher’s Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.
I had not read one of Piper’s devotional books before, but plan on getting more and know I will reread this one again in the future. 
Each day is three to six pages and covers a crazy range of topics, from meditations on a specific verse, to voting, to race, to prosperity teachers, to suffering and joy and twitter!  I got this book at a time when I really needed to be regularly presented with thoughts on God’s love, plan and purpose for us.  That is the best things about Piper (though lately I have been enjoying reading authors/bloggers who disagree with him on both theology-Calvinism and presentation, I think I can be fed by both) he hugely advocates for God’s sovereignty but never never never stops stressing GOD’S LOVE.   The way he talks about both is compelling and beautiful.
A quotation from a discussion with his daughter, “You know that whether you die in a bridge collapse or in a car accident or from cancer or terrorism or old age, God always keeps you, even when you die.”  Honesty and truth that can be beneficial to us all.  

No comments: