The Blessing: Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love and Acceptance by John Trent
I received this book by agreeing to blog about it from Thomas Nelson Publishing and when my mom asked what I was reading now, she said, oh yes The Blessing. Well I had never heard of it but I should have guessed that she had as she did a great job of giving that to me and my brother.
The book shares the reason the blessing of a child is so important, shows how it happened in the Bible, then goes through several chapters of what the blessing is and entails; then is help for those who missed the blessing themselves and those in situations where a blessing can't be complete (like divorce), it closes with practical ways to live out the 'blessing challenge.'
Overall it was a great book and good information with spiritual insights as well as practical examples (word pictures, letters) to parents who want their children to feel loved. There is also a website and sprinkled through the book were suggestions of supplements from the website (I haven't explored it yet). Trent in many ways has a mind like mine, while reading books like this I often think-but what about.....He almost always had a disclaimer or example when my mind went there! One thing I didn't like about the book was ALL the many many depressing examples. Every chapter had a few stories of people that break your heart. Fortunately most of the book is upbeat and encouraging that overcome the sad stories, and he ends with happy stories which was good.
I encourage any parent to read this book. I am looking forward to writing a letter to each girl and living out a life of blessing for them!


No comments:
Post a Comment