Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber
When I saw this book offered on Book Sneeze (where I get books for free from Thomas Nelson publishing by blogging about them), I thought it looked neat, an inspiring, engaging little book about a lady becoming a believer as an adult. Well I was right about the inspiring and engaging and really wrong about the little. Surprised by Oxford is a book worthy of an Oxford graduate and is a brick. She includes introductions by various authors and intersperses quotations throughout. The writing itself is a work of art. And the subject is wonderful. Caro grew up in a normal Canadian home and went off to Oxford for graduate school. The way that God weaved together people at perfect times and places was beautiful. She is very real with her thoughts and struggles to accept something not normal in academic circles. The conversations often flow like a CS Lewis essay. She addresses grace, joy, pride, love and how life becomes more real and more thoughtful in trusting Christ. Taking us down the halls and streets of Oxford was a delight, and there is even a little mystery wrapped up neatly in the end. I was hoping to speed through this one, but really enjoyed taking my time, seeing how my life has paralleled hers, stopping to contemplate the sacrifice, the hugeness, the joy in Christ and in relationship with other believers (as messy as that gets). At the end I wasn't disappointed that Surprised by Oxford was so long, I was sad she didn't just keep going.


No comments:
Post a Comment