I read John & Staci Eldredge's marriage book.
First of all, I didn't agree with every sentence they said, but I do agree with the big points. Also it took me a while to get out of my cynical self and jump into their larger than life world (which is also explored in Wild at Heart & Captivating) of danger and romance and beauty.
The couple team wrote this book and tell stories and thoughts both in the first person. Their biggest advice in marriage is:
1. Find life in God.
2. Deal with your brokenness.
3. Learn to shut down the spiritual attacks that come against your marriage.
They are huge into spiritual warfare and there are two chapters on fighting (against the devil and not each other). The subtitle of the copy I read is Find Your Way to Something Beautiful in your Marriage but it could be Fight, because if one does everything they recommend, it would be a lot of work and time and effort (of course).
My favorite chapter was on the Shared Adventure. Our life and our story is about something bigger than ourselves and that mission is part of marriage, but a line I love is that you just can't jump into the huge stuff (of glorifying God and 'saving' the world) without 'practice' in just enjoying each other and navigating life together. That is really freeing to me who feels guilty for any trip that isn't a mission trip.
I need to reread this one and discuss with Caleb what we really would like to incorporate into our lives. I highly recommend it (and not just because I received this book free in agreement to review it on my blog from Blogging for Books - WaterBrook/Multmonah)
1 year ago


No comments:
Post a Comment