Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gingerbread houses

Every so often, I try a crafty thing, and then I remember why I don't often do crafty things :) This year it was gingerbread houses, after standing in the kitchen rolling, cutting, and baking for an hour and half I was tired and so glad I had decided to do it the night before. Well the next morning came and so did my parents, I was smart enough to know not to try making gingerbread houses by myself with the girls (it was before we went to see Santa). The cookies were too soft, I hadn't baked them long enough, but we went with it. Gloria ended up with a tepee more than a house and Lydia's one side caved in early.
We went to work decorating and I allowed the girls to eat all they wanted as they went. Nana helped Lydia, while I helped Gloria as she shoved candy into her mouths. They both turned out pretty cute in spite of the structural instabilities.


After they were complete we moved them to take a picture. Gloria's fell down right away (see my surprised laugh) and then Lydia's fell pretty soon after. Fortunately (or miraculously) we all said Kaboom and laughed and then talked afterwards about the funny earthquake. I guess it helped that we then proceeded to eat them and more candy! I think next year I will buy a kit and just bake some gingerbread men :)
As my mom said they weren't artistic but they were yummy and fun, which I value a lot more than perfection in art anyway.

No comments: