
Next was China. Breakfast was a lot harder-I didn't have any rice gruel or fried dough things on hand so we had a normal American breakfast.
We pulled up traditional Chinese music on youtube and watched beautiful nature, people and art backgrounds while the girls danced.

We read The Empty Pot and made a stamp from a potato (the girls saw an example from the ones hanging on our walls). Gloria requested a carrot design and Lydia wanted a Chinese character (I tried). We watched a few Nieho Kialan clips online.

Then jumped into our airplane to head to China Town on North Lamar. Its a huge shopping area with red palace designs. We met Russ & Stacey (who we went to London with). We ate family style at First Chinese BBQ surrounded by many Asian families and groups. We had shrimp fried rice, duck, pork, Chinese broccoli (its not like broccoli more like spinach) and asparagus soup. It was fun to read fortune cookies around the table. After Gloria threw up outside, we proceeded to the grocery store which has a coy tank and dragon statues outside. We walked around inside and enjoyed seeing different fruits, live (and dead) fish and crabs and all the packaged products, some of which have wonderful translations describing the joy of eating them. From there our last stop was a bubble tea shop. The girls got ice cream, I got a smoothie, Stacey got authentic tea with the pearls-I had had it once with Remy and didn't really like them.

Mulan looking at coy while eating a fortune cookie. Gloria and I wore red to be festive.
At the tea shop my parents called, oh no we were late, they were already at our home to celebrate Caleb's birthday... we should have saved making someone wait on us for another country as Chinese people are decently on time!
No comments:
Post a Comment