Things we don't have in America-large soda cans and delivery KFC (and regularly hennaed hands)Our last day in country! I had grand plans for this day, Suha was going to pick me up and we were going to spend the day with Sabriya and family at her home. Flexibility is important as things change...I woke up that morning with a runny nose and a phone call that the family's grandmother in the hospital had passed away that early morning. In Islam a person must be buried within the first 24 hours, so the funeral was that day.
The group left to have one last time in Muttrah Souq and a modern mall and I was left without really knowing what I was doing that day. I called one of my neighbors and she came and got me and we had a nice coffee visit (just like old times) with her sister and other various children and family members dropping by. They (and most people except Ahmed who had gotten white hair) looked the same and they said the same thing about me. After a couple of hours of chatting she took me back to the hotel. I got in touch with Suha and she said it wasn't that crowded then so she and her sister would come get me and bring me to the family home. The men and the body were at the mosque and all the ladies at home. I got there and there were at least 10-20 ladies in each room (formal sitting, living room, two girls bedrooms) I got taken back to Sabriya's old room where most of the immediate family was. I greeted lots of neighbors and family members. I got to say about 30 times: Yes, I am glad to be back in Oman, yes it has been 7 years, I have two daughters, God willing next time I return the whole family will come. They served all lunch-chicken and rice. One nice thing was I got to see almost everyone connected to that family that I had ever met-neighbors, extended cousins, friends from school, etc. Fathia (the oldest sister) wanted to get some things from her home so she and I went with her sons there. She had learned to drive since I had left and her sons (who we went to Salalah with) had grown up. When the one who was six when we left spoke and his voice had changed, I was shocked. We stopped at a dukan to get a drink (see above) and they are redoing their home (surprise) and we looked at pictures from their trip to Thailand, then back in the car to go back to the home. We greeted some more, then I needed to get back to the group.
Back at the hotel we had a wrap up meeting talking about things we learned and what the travel company could do better and what they are going to take home from the trip. All of the group was very moved and loved the trip.
We were all packed up and had our final dinner (it seems like all we did on this trip was eat!) at the Iranian restaurant under the hotel. It was delicious-feta, walnuts and bread, hummus, then rice (I skipped it) and meat. 
It is hard for Omanis to say goodbye before the last minute so several friends stopped by. Majda and her girls (they gave me and Caleb perfume) and Mariam (frankincense) but they didn't stay and join us, just to say goodbye. Some Americans that we knew from before also came to hang out and hear about our trip. Badriya came with gifts for all the ladies-jewelry. And several things for me-material and dresses and a watch from her work and a present from Muneera and the finale was a green wrapped traditional Omani celebration tray that is used for weddings to bring in incense. It was very thoughtful and very large but I had lots of flight attendants scrambling to help me fit it in the carry on of each flight. She drove me and Caroline (who I think is saying goodbye to Mouza on the phone in the picture above) to the airport and then we had to say goodbye-I was so exhausted and not feeling well that I wasn't emotional at all. Then we all sat around together at the airport waiting for our flight to Amsterdam. The flights again were uneventful. We went from 19 degrees C (about 68) in Muscat to 19 degrees F in Amsterdam. I left the group there and then flew to Detroit, then Austin watching movies and trying to sleep. My sinuses were killing me on each take off and landing but then I arrived home, thankful for such a wonderful adventure! 


No comments:
Post a Comment